Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Arithmancy


My first time teaching Arithmancy, I planned a few fun and clever number tricks to teach my pupils as an introductory lesson.  I started with an example.  A student picked a number 1-15, and didn't tell me what is was.  He gave me some information, and I amazed everyone by "reading his mind" and knowing his number.  Soon they all wanted to learn.  They made their own cards and practiced on each other.  I taught them a few simpler tricks, such as: Pick a number.  Add 4.  Divide by 3.  Your number is 4 (this one does not work; it is merely an example of the type of tricks I taught them).   These were simpler to teach, but at this point the kids started to become disinterested and distracted.  Before class ended, I urged them to trick their family members when they next saw them. 


The first class was quite unenthusiastic, and it was hard to get them to keep practicing or pay attention.  I had to encourage them to participate.  As a new teacher, I wondered, "Are all students like this?"  However, I soon learned that this was not the case.  My next class, the same Arithmancy for Beginners course, was very different.  Instead of an all-around bored feeling, they were very enthusiastic. They all learned the basic tricks, and some figured out how they worked, which was impressive for the first day of class.

For my first time teaching, I would say it went well, since I had noticed the pupils' tendencies to become stir-crazy and slightly out-of-hand earlier in the term. A good idea for my future lessons would be to incorporate some hands-on activities along with the mental problems. Now, I have learned how to keep all the young witches and wizards engaged and having a great time, while teaching the fascinating concepts of Arithmancy.  I am looking forward to teaching a new group of intelligent pupils next term!









No comments:

Post a Comment